Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Obama's "race and Rev. Wright" speech

For those of you who haven't seen it, see below.

The speech lacked quotable flights of rhetoric -- it was no "I Have A Dream" -- but what it had instead was an unusual respect for the intelligence of the listener.

The most interesting thing about it for me was that it was essentially a damage-control speech, but he managed to expand it into an intelligent and principled discussion of the tribal conflicts that underlie the Rev. Wright controversy.

When I'm driving alone, I like to scan the AM dial to see what the Dittohead Nation is thinking. (One thing I've learned is that they're completely obsessed with the Clintons, to a truly comical degree.) Yesterday, I listened to their reactions to this speech, and those reactions can be boiled down to:

- OMG, he called his grandmother a racist! He said she's just as bad as Rev. Wright!
- Instead of saying that Rev. Wright should be tarred and feathered, he said he still loves him!

This focus on simple-minded analysis -- often willfully dumbed-down, with hidden contempt for the audience -- and distraction via scandal-mongering is exactly what Obama is arguing against in this speech. If he wins the nomination and the general election, it will be, among other things, a victory for honest and intelligent political discourse.

Which means, of course, that he will probably lose. But at this moment, I am more impressed than ever by him, and excited about the possibility of him leading the Executive Branch of our empire.


1 comment:

kathleen said...

The Dittohead obsession with the Clintons is the reason I think she can't win against McCain, and if she does, it's going to be a really rough four years.

I hate listening to Hillary's responses to questions, like the plan to give illegal immigrants driver's licenses. She said she disagreed with the idea but understood the reasons behind it. Basically agreeing and disagreeing in the same sentence.

I don't trust anyone who is so afraid to lose that they don't remember who they are or what they believe in anymore.