CNN, of all places, provides some context:
the 9/11 sermon
the "God damn America" sermon
I have to say, I agree with 90-95% of what he says. His susceptibility to conspiracy theory is a bit disappointing, but overall, I find him very impressive. I must be some kind of white-hating, anti-American traitor. The radio tells me so. I have to stop listening to AM talk shows.
I wonder what the pundits would have thought of Frederick Douglass saying, "For revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I watched the interview with Rev. Wright on Bill Moyers Journal this past Friday:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html
I was very impressed by the man. I don't agree with some of his more extreme statements, but this interview helped me to put them in context. I gained a new appreciation for black liberation theology, how African Americans relate to the biblical accounts of the oppression of the Israelites, and how Wright's condemnation of all that is wrong with our country is in the same tradition as the preaching of the Old Testament prophets. I also learned an interesting new word: hermeneutics.
Post a Comment